Education Unlocks the Door to Freedom
Countless studies demonstrate a link between a lack of education and increased crime, poverty, drug use and unemployment. Community revitalization requires an effective cradle-to-college pipeline. A pipeline is not merely about co-locating and collaborating. It is about requiring a higher level of coordination, with each partner measuring success in reference to how the others are doing.
That pipeline begins with strong early childhood education that prepares young children for success throughout their academic years. It continues with the highest-quality elementary, middle and high school education, all focused on preparing students for success in college and beyond.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
– Nelson Mandela
Key components for a successful education pipeline:
- A neighborhood focus with local control
- Principals empowered to make performance-driven hiring decisions
- High quality teachers committed to the school’s success
- Extended school days and school year
- Rigorous and relevant educational curriculum
- Relentless focus on outcomes to ensure continued excellence